Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Alena! Back and on the Come Up..so move over bish

Anyone living and skateboarding in Montreal for over 5 years now could tell you about Alena. Alena was THE dopest skate shop montreal ever had, from it's once simplistic classy layout, to the heat they had on the shelves (probably the first shop in the 514 to carry URL's and Sb's, when skateboarders were iffy about Nike getting into the market)..i even got my first pair of Sb's there, the tweeds that started my passion for nike's and kicks in general, to the dope artwork on the walls to the art shows that would supply minors with boosie. Once located in the heart of DG, Alena was where it was at. Not to mention it was only a 5 minute skate from my catholic all girls highschool at the time and right across the street from Giruard Park the old skatespot/smokespot/40 spot after school special spot.
Jeremy Bresnen is the brains behind Alena and i truly believe that the only reason Alena went out of business in the first place is because he was just to ahead of his time and the game in general. I mean if a shop like Alena was up and running now i'm almost certain it would do quite well.

Anyways Jeremy is and was always a stand up dude, really good with kids in the community, putting everybody on. Maybe even too generous. I remember one particular incident where Laura Lloyd and I were sessioning Giruard one afternoon (2003/2004) sometime, and i broke one of my kingpins ( yes switched it up for you fucking nazis...you know who you are). Unfortunatly for me, I had just spent my lunch money on weed as i usually had, and went over to Alena and Jeremey hooked it up and was just like hit me up whenever you can... probably about 10 minutes later..one of Lloyd's kingpin broke... and he did the same thing for her. I think it was only like 4 bucks.. but you know it was his whole demeanor and "go skate, have fun!" attitude that really made that place what it was.

Well unfortunatly for us, Alena has had it's doors closed now for over 4 years and isn't opening up another shop in montreal, Alena is now more focused on branding itself. Product will be available soon from boards, to shirts to whatever else Jeremey comes up with. I'm sure it will be dope!

Oh yeah theres kinda a team already..Pretty much scattered across North America from Montreal to frisco. Oh even little brother Fyfe is on it.. go check out the site by clicking on the title of this post!

No comments: